When a business supplies you with consumer services, such as subscription services, household plumbing, a haircut, or fixing your car, four consumer guarantees apply under the Consumer Guarantees Act (CGA).
Services include any rights, benefits or facilities provided by a supplier, even if they do so free of charge or you don’t have a contract with the supplier.
The CGA also specifies a wide range of contracts that are services, such as:
- contracts for the performance of work
- contracts of insurance
- banking contracts
- care or service of others or animals
- supply of electricity, telecommunications, gas, water, and removal of wastewater.
Contracts and quotes for services can include extra rights and responsibilities and specific information for both you and the provider, for example, cancellations, pricing, timeframes. The provider or business cannot include conditions in the contract which erase your rights under the Act.
For more information on contracts, quotes, and estimates, including types of contracts and the language they use, see:
Contracts and sales agreements
Quotes and estimates
Your rights when buying services
All consumer services must be:
You should be able to seek a repair, replacement, or refund if the service does not meet one or more of the guarantees.
Refund, replacement, repair
Electricity and gas services
Electricity and gas services must meet a specific guarantee of acceptable quality. This guarantee applies instead of the general CGA guarantees that apply to products and services.
Consumer guarantees for gas and electricity services
Services not covered
The CGA does not apply to:
- commercial services — services normally bought for business use or work normally carried out for a business
- private sales — when you buy from someone who is not in trade
- contracts of service — the performance of work under an employment contract
- work done by a charity for your benefit.
Businesses can agree in writing that the CGA doesn't apply if personal or household services are bought for business use, such as carpet cleaning in a shop.