Common consumer issues and where to get help.

Common consumer issues

Pages you might find helpful:

Refund, replacement, repair — your rights and what to do if a product or service breaks or isn't fit for purpose.

Solving issues with your car dealer — your rights and what to do if you bought a vehicle from a car dealer and there’s a problem.

Faulty products — what to do when something doesn’t work, breaks easily, or doesn’t do what you expected it to.

Making a complaint

You have the right to complain if something you’ve bought in New Zealand does not work, a service has not achieved the result that was agreed, something has not been delivered on time, or you've been misled by an advert.

How to complain — here are the steps to take if you have an issue and want to make a complaint.

Find help in your community

In person services
At present some face-to-face services are restricted. You can still get in touch by phone.

Organisations that you can get support at any point from can be found through community service providers listed below:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

A free, independent service, run by volunteers. CAB can advise you on your consumer rights and obligations, in person, by phone, or online.

Find a CAB(external link) — Citizens Advice Bureau

Community Law Centres

Offers free one-on-one legal advice to people with limited finances. The organisation has 24 community law centres throughout the country. You can find legal information and other resources on its website.

Our law centres(external link) — Community Law Centres


This helpline gives free budgeting advice to individuals, family and whānau. Financial mentors can help you understand your financial situation, organise your debt and plan. They can also put you in touch with a local budgeting service and help you with issues you're having with lenders. Contact them on 0800 345 123. Or by live chat, email, or text, if you prefer.

Contact information(external link) — MoneyTalks

Find guidance — Contact the Consumer Protection helpline on 0508 426 678

If you have any consumer rights questions or enquiries, contact us on the Consumer Protection helpline. In doing so, please be aware that we don't manage complaints and we have no investigation or enforcement powers.

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
Freephone: 0508 426 678 (0508 4 CONSUMER)

From overseas: +64 4 474 2750

Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm, NZT, Monday–Friday.


If you have concerns about price increases to essential goods and services during COVID-19, please use our online form:

Report a price increase(external link)  — Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment


Contact our national office:

Phone: 04 901 1499

Postal address

Consumer Protection
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 1473
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

Physical address

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
15 Stout Street
Wellington 6011
New Zealand

Media enquiries

Contact our Communications Group:


News and updates include media releases related to Consumer Protection.

You can read all Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) news and releases(external link) in the news and updates section of the MBIE Corporate website.

Discussion documents

You can have your say(external link) on discussion documents currently available for public consultation on the MBIE Corporate website.

If you speak a different language

You can use the free telephone interpreting service.

  1. Call us after 9.00am
  2. Ask for an interpreter
  3. Tell us what language you speak
  4. An interpreter will join you shortly

If you are deaf or hearing impaired

We can use the Video Relay Service to provide information after 9:00am. Visit the NZ Relay website to see how it works.

New Zealand Relay(external link)