Rental cars

Next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue about a rental cars.

Who do I go to?

The Police(external link) and the New Zealand Transport Agency(external link) if the matter is serious or concerns criminal activity or you think a rental car is unsafe.

The New Zealand Transport Agency(external link) to make a complaint about your rental car.

The New Zealand Police(external link) if you are disputing a traffic fine relating to your rental car.

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe a rental company has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact your rental car company to try and resolve the dispute
  2. If you are not able to resolve the dispute or you are concerned about the safety of your rental car, contact the NZTA.
  3. If you are disputing a traffic fine relating to your rental car, contact the New Zealand Police(external link).

What else do I need to consider?

The Disputes Tribunal and District Court charge fees for filing a claim. You can find the current fees for the Disputes Tribunal(external link) and the District Court(external link) on the Ministry of Justice website.

The Commerce Commission don’t investigate every complaint and will not get financial compensation for you, so you still need to take action yourself.


Where can I get more information?

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)

Provides information about the work of the NZTA, advice on transport safety and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 822 422

NZ Police

Provides information and advice on matters relating to their work.

Visit the website(external link)

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600