Faulty products and services

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue with a faulty product or service.

Who do I go to?

Who do I go to?

Contact the retailer or service provider about a fault or problem first. You have a number of options if you cannot resolve the issue with them.

The Disputes Tribunal(external link) OR the District Court(external link) to claim because of a breach of your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act or the Fair Trading Act.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct.

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe your privacy has been breached.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if:

  • a seller has misled you when supplying products or services
  • the auctioneer has not run the auction according to the rules.

Goods purchased at auction

The Auctioneer’s Association(external link) for complaints about auctions and auctioneers.

Good bought online

The consumer protection agency in the country where the business is based. See the list on econsumer.gov(external link)

Second-hand goods

Unlicensed second-hand dealers can be reported to the Licensing Authority of Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers(external link).

Electric and gas products

Energy Safety(external link) for direct safety issues with an electrical or gas product

What kind of problems do they handle?

What kind of problems do they handle?

You can make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal of up to $15,000 ($20,000 if both parties agree) or the District Court (claims over $15,000) for disputes on contracts to cancel the sales/services contract and get compensation.

The Auctioneer's Association will investigate compliants about the auctioneer and any unethical behaviour, standard of service, negligent advice or service and non-payment of proceeds due or any other matter of concern.

econsumer.gov can offer advice on bringing a claim against an overseas trader.

What do I need to do?

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the retailer or service provider to try to resolve the issue directly.

  2. If you are not able to resolve the dispute, you may wish to apply to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court depending on the value of your claim.

  3. You can also report the business to the Commerce Commission if they have misled you when supplying products or services under the Fair Trading Act.

What else do I need to consider?

What else do I need to consider?

The Commerce Commission is responsible for enforcing this Act and making sure auctioneers and traders comply. They don’t investigate every complaint and will not get financial compensation for you, so you still need to take action yourself.

econsumer.gov won’t pursue your complaint. It monitors trends, uncovers scams and investigates suspect companies.

Where can I get more information?

Where can I get more information?

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600
Email: contact@comcom.govt.nz

The Auctioneers Association

Provides information about choosing an auctioneer and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website(external link)
Email: info@auctioneers.org.nz


A joint initiative from consumer protection agencies from 36 countries, it allows you to report consumer scans from overseas sellers and providers information about other ways of resolving your complaint.

Visit the website(external link)

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)