Product safety issues

The next steps to take if you are concerned about the safety of a product.

Who do I go to?

For emergencies, call 111.

If you need health advice call Healthline 0800 611 116 or see your doctor.

Contact the responsible government agency for that product

Commerce Commission(external link)

  • bicycles
  • children’s nightwear and toys
  • cigarette lighters
  • cots
  • pistol crossbows
  • candles
  • hot water bottles
  • chainsaws
  • small magnets
  • multipurpose ladders.

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment – Product Safety Trading Standards(external link)

  • Other consumer/general products.

Worksafe – Energy Safety(external link)

  • Electric and gas products and appliances.

Ministry for Primary Industries(external link)

  • Food and items in contact with food (toxicity).

Ministry of Health – Medsafe(external link)

  • Medicines and medical devices or equipment.

New Zealand Transport Agency(external link)

  • Road vehicles
  • vehicle equipment
  • helmets (bicycle and motorcycle)
  • children's car seats.

Worksafe(external link)

  • Workplace product-related incidents.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The information that you provide can be used to identify systemic safety issues and enables government agencies to act to address those issues.

Taking products back, complaining to suppliers and reporting issues to the government can help stop other people getting hurt by unsafe products.

What do I need to do?

  1. If you've been injured by a product, had a near-miss or have safety concerns, contact the manufacturer to inform them of the safety concern.
  2. Report it to the government agency who is responsible for that product.

Where can I get more information?

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600

Trading Standards

Responsible for protecting New Zealand consumers with five work areas: Trade Measurement, Consumer Product Safety, Fuel Quality Monitoring, Auctioneers Registration and Motor Vehicle Traders Register.

Contact Product Safety Trading Standards(external link)

Energy Safety

Provides information about its role as the electricity and gas regulator and how to report an accident or unsafe installation or product.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0508 377 463.

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)

Provides information about the work of the NZTA, advice on transport safety and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 822 422


Provides information about their role in ensuring medicines safety including compliance and how to contact the organisation with concerns.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 04 819 6800


Provides information about workplace health and safety and how to raise a concern about workplace safety.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 030 040

Ministry for Primary Industries

Provides information about the work of the Ministry and how to raise concerns.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 00 83 33