Petrol stations and fuel quality

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue about the fuel quality at a petrol station.

Who do I go to?

Trading Standards Making a complaint(external link) to report the service station. 

The Commerce Commission(external link) to report a petrol station if they have given false and misleading information in the promotion and sale of products and services, or engage in price-fixing.

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint or if you wish to seek compensation.

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe a tradesperson has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

Trading Standards will investigate complaint about poor quality fuel and will follow it up with the oil company concerned.

The Commerce Commission is responsible for enforcing the Fair Trading and Commerce Acts and making sure traders comply.

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the petrol station to make a complaint. 
  2. If you are not able to resolve the dispute or to report the petrol station for poor fuel quality, contact Trading Standards and follow their complaints process.
  3. You may also wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court. Find out more about Going to the Dispute Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

The Commerce Commission doesn’t investigate every complaint and will not get financial compensation for you, so you still need to take action yourself.

The Dispute Tribunal charges a fee for making an application. Find the latest fees on the Ministry of Justice website(external link).

Where can I get more information?

Trading Standards

Provides information on how they monitor fuel quality and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website
Phone: 0508 627 774
International Phone: 00 64 3 962 2580

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909