Collect proof that work completed is authorised and safe.


Certificates prove work has been:

  • carried out by an authorised person
  • it complies with NZ laws and safety requirements.

These are legal documents and so you should keep them — you might need them when you come to sell your house.

Code compliance certificates

If your building work required council consent, you'll get a code compliance certificate when the job is finished and the Council is satisfied the building and plumbing work complies with the Building Code and the consent.

Discuss with your contractor whether they'll apply for the code compliance certificate or if you need to do it yourself.

Your local council's website might have more information about their process. 

If you conducted work that did not require a building consent, you don’t need to get a code compliance certificate when the job is finished.

Electrical certification

All electrical work must be tested and certified, whether it’s a repair, replacement or new wiring. When work is finished, you must be given a copy of the certification.

The type of certification will depend on the work that was done. It could be all or a combination of:

  • a Certificate of Compliance (COC)
  • an Electrical Safety Certificate (ESC)
  • a Record of Inspection — for work that needs to be independently inspected (ROI)
  • a safety tag for any repaired appliances.

Energy works certificate

When gasfitting work is done, you must be given a signed copy of the gasfitting certificate (also called an energy works certificate).

Gasfitting certificates(external link) — Plumbers, Drainlayers and Gasfitters Board

Warranties, manuals and documentation

Your tradesperson should give you all the documentation, manuals and warranties for your materials, fixtures and fittings.

At the end of the project(external link) — Building Performance

Read more on Issues after your building work has finished

If you didn't have a written quote or contract

If you didn’t have a quote or contract, you can ask for an itemised account or invoice for work that has been done. Service providers don't legally have to provide an itemised invoice but most will if asked.


If the work you've had done will increase the value or rebuild cost of your home, make sure you speak to your insurance company about increasing your cover.