If you sell by weight you need to maintain your measuring equipment so that it is accurate.
Under the Weights and Measures Act, traders must not use false or unjust equipment.
To ensure your equipment measures accurately, follow these guidelines:
- Make sure the scale is on a firm surface.
- Check that your scale has a level bubble. To be level the bubble must be centred. Use the levelling feet to adjust the scales.
- After levelling, the scale should show zero. If fitted, use the zero button to zero the scale. If you cannot get it to show zero with the scale level, call your service person. (Note: If a scale shows zero but is not level it will in most cases be inaccurate.)
- Keep advertising signs and display stands away from the indicator and weigh plate.
- Keep all weights, scales, and measures clean.
- Do not use damaged weights or dented measures.