The next steps to take if you have an issue about pricing.

Who do I go to?

Trading Standards Making a complaint(external link) if you think you may have been sold products that are short weighed or measured. 

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe your privacy has been breached.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the retailer or supplier to make a complaint. 
  2. If you are unable to resolve the complaint, you may also wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court. Find out more about Going to the Dispute Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

The Commerce Commission don’t investigate every complaint and will not get financial compensation for you so you still need to take action yourself.

The Dispute Tribunal charges a fee for making an application. Find the latest fees on the Ministry of Justice website(external link).

Where can I get more information?

Trading Standards

Responsible for protecting New Zealand consumers with five work areas: Trade Measurement, Consumer Product Safety, Fuel Quality Monitoring, Auctioneers Registration and Motor Vehicle Traders Register.

Contact Trading Standards(external link)

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600