The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue about a contract.

Who do I go to?

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe a company has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

You can apply to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court to cancel the contract and get compensation. Apply to the Disputes Tribunal for contracts up to $15,000 to or the District Court for amounts greater than $15,000. link) can offer advice on bringing a claim against an overseas trader.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the company with which you have the contract to try and resolve the complaint.
  2. If you cannot resolve the complaint or do not receive compensation, you may wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or the District Court. Find out more about Going to the Disputes Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

The Commerce Commission don’t investigate every complaint and will not get financial compensation for you, so you still need to take action yourself. won’t pursue your complaint. It monitors trends, uncovers scams and investigates suspect companies.

Where can I get more information?

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600

A joint initiative from consumer protection agencies from 36 countries, it allows you to report consumer scans from overseas sellers and providers information about other ways of resolving your complaint.

Visit the website(external link)