Transport and passenger services

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue with a transport or passenger service.

Transport services include taxis, buses, shuttles, private hire cars, rental cars and app-based services, such as Uber.

Who do I go to?

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)(external link) if you are not able to resolve your complaint directly with the provider.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you want to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct.

The Disputes Tribunal OR District Court(external link) to claim compensation for a faulty transport service, a refund of fees or other remedies under the Consumer Guarantees Act.

What kind of problems do they handle?

NZTA handles complaints related to:

  • vehicle certification, such as warrants of fitness
  • unsafe child and toddler car seats
  • small passenger services (up to 12 seats) for hire or reward such as taxis, shuttles, dial a driver and app-based services
  • large passenger services such as buses
  • transport companies or operators.

But not complaints about billing.


The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. For complaints about transport services, contact the transport company or service and follow their complaint processes.
  2. Download the relevant NZTA complaint forms(external link) if you have any complaints about public transport operators or passenger service vehicles.
  3. If you are unable to resolve the dispute or wish to seek compensation, you may wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court. Find out more about going to the Disputes Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

The Disputes Tribunal and District Court charge fees for filing a claim. You can find the current fees for the Disputes Tribunal(external link) and the District Court(external link) on the Ministry of Justice website.

Where can I get more information?

New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)

Provides information about the work of the NZTA, advice on transport safety and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 822 422

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909