Parking fines, towing and clamping

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue relating parking including fines, towing and clamping.

Who do I go to?

Public land and roads

The local council that issued the ticket if you have an issue with a parking ticket.

The Police Infringement Bureau(external link) if you have an issue with a speeding ticket or policy infringement notice such as those for not wearing a seatbelt.

Private car parks

The car park operator if you are unhappy with the fee you have been charged.

Unresolved complaints

The Disputes Tribunal or the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

What kind of problems do they handle?

The Police Infringement Bureau handles all disputes about speeding tickets and police infringement notices.

Your local council handles all disputes over public parking tickets.

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. To complain about a speeding ticket or infringement notice, contact the Police Infringement Bureau first. If you receive an infringement notice and you want to find out who was driving at the time, you can request a road safety camera photo from them(external link).
  2. Follow the Police Infringement Bureau’s disputes process(external link) if you wish to dispute the notice or fine.
  3. You can appeal a council parking fine before paying the ticket. You’ll have to follow the process on your council’s website. You can also appeal in the District Court. In this case, you need to make a written submission where you admit liability but you have mitigating circumstances. Your appeal will be heard by Justices of the Peace.
  4. To complain about unauthorised towing or any damage to your vehicle from towing, contact the tow truck company first. Copy any complaint you make to the person that authorised the tow, such as a landowner, city council, or the Police. Send a copy to your insurance company.
  5. If you are unable to resolve the dispute, you may wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or the District Court for a refund, damages or other compensation. Find out more about going to the Disputes Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

If you get a ticket, you have 28 days to pay the fine. If you don't, you'll receive a reminder notice. If no payment is received after a further period, the overdue fine will be lodged with a debt-collection agency for recovery.

The Disputes Tribunal and District Court charge fees for filing a claim. You can find the current fees for the Disputes Tribunal(external link) and the District Court(external link) on the Ministry of Justice website.

Where can I get more information?

Find your local council

Visit the website(external link)

Police Infringement Bureau

Provides information about how to pay tickets and contact details for the bureau.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 105 777

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909