The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue with a tradesperson.

Who do I go to?

Who to go to varies according to the type of tradesperson. Find out more about resolving disputes with:

To resolve payment disputes for residential building work, you can use a separate dispute resolution process, under the Construction Contracts Act. Read Hiring a builder for more information.

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe a tradesperson has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the tradesperson to make a complaint. 
  2. If you are not able to resolve the dispute, contact their licensing organisation and follow their complaints process.
  3. You may also wish to make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal or District Court. Find out more about Going to the Dispute Tribunal.

What else do I need to consider?

The Dispute Tribunal charges a fee for making an application. Find the latest fees on the Ministry of Justice website(external link).

Where can I get more information?

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600