The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue with a electrician.

Who do I go to?

The Electrical Workers Registration Board(external link) if you’re worried about the safety of any electrical work.

Energy Safety(external link) if you think electrical work or an electrical appliance is unsafe.

The Disputes Tribunal or the District Court(external link) to make a claim if you are unable to resolve the complaint.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading statements or conduct. 

The Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe an electrician has interfered with your privacy.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The EWRB will investigate disciplinary offences, including work done negligently or incompetently. They may also take enforcement action against the electrician such as:

  • fining them
  • suspending or removing their registration
  • disqualifying them from doing electrical work.

The EWRB investigations complaints about what a registered or unauthorised worker did when they carried out electrical work or gave instructions for the work to be carried out.

The Disputes Tribunal deals with claims up to $15,000 (or $20,000 if both parties agree). The District Court deals with claims over $15,000.

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact your electrician to try and resolve the dispute.
  2. If you are concerned about the safety of electricial work or applicance, contact Energy Safety.
  3. If you are unable to resolve the dispute, contact the EWRB and follow their complaints process.
  4. If you wish to claim compensation, you may wish to bring a claim in the Disputes Tribunal or District Court.

What else do I need to consider?

The EWRB doesn’t provide individuals with compensation for losses or damages.


Where can I get more information?

Electrical Workers Registration Board

Provides information on training and qualification for electricians and how to make a complaint against an electrician.

Visit the website(external link)

Energy Safety

Provides information about its role as the electricity and gas regulator and how to report an accident or unsafe installation or product.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0508 377 463.

The Disputes Tribunal

The Ministry of Justice website provides information on the Tribunal and how to apply.

Visit the website(external link)

District Court

Information about your local District Court can be found on the District Courts of New Zealand website.

Visit the website(external link)

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600
Email: contact@comcom.govt.nz