TV and radio

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue with advertising on TV and radio.

Who do I go to?

The Broadcasting Standards Authority(external link) if you are unhappy about the content of advertisements.

The Disputes Tribunal OR the District Court(external link) to claim for any losses you have suffered as a result of the advertising or media content being inaccurate or unfair.

The Commerce Commission(external link) if you wish to report a business for false or misleading advertising under the Fair Trading Act.

What kind of problems do they handle?

The BSA investigates breaches of its standards. This includes:

  • content in television and radio programmes
  • broadcast items you’ve seen using on-demand
  • trailers for programmes
  • election advertisements on television or radio

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact the broadcaster, editor, online author or publisher to try to resolve the issue.
  2. If you’re not happy with their response to your complaint, make a formal complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Agency(external link) or the Commerce Commission(external link) as appropriate.
  3. If you wish to get compensation or a refund, you will have to bring a claim in the Disputes Tribunal  or the District Court(external link).

What else do I need to consider?

You have 20 working days to make your complaint to the broadcaster. But if you need more time, ask. They must give you a further 20 working days.

The broadcaster must reply within 20 working days.

The BSA can order the broadcaster to pay you compensation of up to $5,000 and pay back the costs of making the complaint including legal fees.

The BSA and Commerce Commission complaint processes are free.

Where can I get more information?

The Broadcasting Standards Authority

Provides information about standards for broadcasters in New Zealand and how to make a complaint.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 04 382 996

The Commerce Commission

Provides information how to make a complaint if you feel a business is not complying with the Fair Trading Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 943 600


Need more help?

Contact us for more guidance.