Accidents and injury

The next steps to take if you are unable to resolve an issue relating to an accident or injury you have suffered.

Who do I go to?

Who do I go to?

ACC(external link) to sort out issues including:

  • cover or entitlements (what ACC can do to help) under your ACC claim
  • if you’re unhappy with how your claim is being managed or the level of service you have received, or you think you are being treated unfairly.

Privacy Commissioner(external link) if you believe someone has interfered with your privacy.

The Office of the Ombudsman(external link) if your initial complaint to the ACC has not been resolved or if you are unhappy at how the ACC has handled your Official Information Act (OIA) request.

What kind of problems do they handle?

What kind of problems do they handle?

You can make a complaint about the management of your claim or any decisions made around the claim. This includes compaints about:

  • ACC cover or entitlements (what you can get from ACC to help you)
  • something incorrect with your claim
  • an incident or the service you have received
  • our products
  • the way our staff, or people working on our behalf, have followed ACC policies or procedures.

See complaints about ACC’s service or products for more information.

You can also apply for an independent review(external link) within 3 months of ACC’s decisions made on:

  • a claim
  • a work injury (if you’re an employer)
  • a levy paid or payable
  • claims lodged with us prior to 1 July 2005 (you’ll be a registered health professional, or organisation, disputing their involvement in an injury caused by medical error)
  • how your claim is handled.

The Accident Compensation Appeals District Court (external link)Registry only hears appeals after an independent review has been made of your ACC claim about cover or entitlements.

What do I need to do?

What do I need to do?

  1. Contact your health provider if you have:

    • suffered an injury as a result of treatment provided to you by them — they can help you lodge an Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) treatment claim
    • suffered an accident or injury within New Zealand.
  2. You can contact a different health provider if you wish to get someone else to help you complete an ACC claim form for treatment injury cover.
  3. Contact the ACC staff member concerned, or their team leader or branch manager to make a complaint about your claim (cover or entitlements) or about how it has been handled (ACC’s services).
  4. Contact ACC’s Customer Resolutions Team if you’re not comfortable with speaking to an ACC staff member, team leader, or branch manager. See Make a complaint on ACC’s website for information on how to do this.
  5. Apply for a review of ACC’s decision on your claim within 3 months of the decision date on your claim or invoice. Follow the process on ACC’s website at Get a decision we made reviewed.
  6. File an appeal in the Accident Compensation Appeals within 28 days of the reviewer’s decision if you’re unhappy with that decision. Follow the process on ACC’s website at Appeal an independent review decision.
What else do I need to consider?

What else do I need to consider?

ACC can only consider your claim if you submit it within 12 months of your injury or accident.

You can also apply to have an independent review of ACC’s decisions(external link) about cover or entitlements, or how your claim has been handled, within three months of the decision date on your claim.

You can’t appeal an independent reviewer’s decision on any breach of the Code of ACC’s Claimants Rights.

ACC have to comply with the Code of ACC Claimants' Rights(external link) when dealing with you and your claim. The Code sets out minimum rights for claimants on standards of service and fairness, and corresponding responsibilities on ACC. Under the Code, you can claim for breach of any of these standards.


Where can I get more information?

Where can I get more information?

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) Customer Resolutions Team

Provides guidance how to claim compensation for an injury caused by treatment from the services of a health practitioner

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 650 222

Office of the Privacy Commissioner

Provides information on the Privacy Act and how to make complaints about breaches of the Act.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 803 909

Office of the Ombudsman

Provides information about the training and support offered by the Ombudsman in addition to its role handling complaints.

Visit the website(external link)
Phone: 0800 802 602

The Health and Disability Commissioner  

Offers advocates to help with initial complaints to practitioners and a complaints procedure for unresolved complaints.

Visit the website (external link)
Phone: 0800 112 233