Buying smart means buying the best product or service for your needs — and doing what you can to protect yourself from any problems.
By considering these tips, you’re likely to feel more confident about making smart purchasing decisions and handling any issues if they come along.
What to do before you buy a product or service
Doing your research before you pull out your wallet will help set you up for good purchases.
- Understand what you need the product or service to do.
- Do your research. Read product and service reviews. Find out which option might best suit your needs.
- Shop around and compare prices.
- Find a reputable retailer or service provider. This could mean:
- reading reviews
- looking for signs of a seller’s good reputation, eg authenticated sellers on Trademe or licensed tradespersons
- buying from registered businesses based in New Zealand — businesses outside of New Zealand do not have to comply with our consumer laws
- weighing up the risks of buying from a private seller — you’ll have fewer protections under consumer law if there’s a fault or issue later on.
- Write down any questions you have about the product or service to ask later.
You can download this checklist as a PDF [PDF, 333 KB] and keep a printed copy with you when you start shopping.